It is our aim to provide a top class cremation service with compassionate unrushed services for everyone who wishes to celebrate the life of their loved one.
We are pleased to offer you:
- A ceremony hall that can seat over 120 mourners, plus ample standing room inside.
- Car parking for around 160 vehicles and separate provision for horse drawn hearses
- Funeral services held every 60 minutes.
- Services relayed outside via screens and speakers for large attendances.
- A facility to webcast the service and have a photographic tribute played during a service.
- Beautiful landscaped grounds surrounded by wildflower meadows and woodland.
The 30 acres of beautiful landscaped grounds, wildflower meadows and pasture are quickly taking on their own environmental significance.
The site features carefully planned gardens, woodland areas, grazing and wildflower meadows. New hedgerows have been planted together with nearly 8000 trees and more than 4500 shrubs and 4700 herbaceous plants.
The woodland trees and hedgerows provide ideal nesting habitat for a range of bird species and a number of bat and bird boxes have been installed across the site and our pesticide policy ensures that we will keep pesticide usage to an absolute minimum.
The Council is a member of the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management and the crematorium is operated in accordance with the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management Charter for the Bereaved (pdf)
The history of the crematorium
Until 2018, Wealden did not have its own crematorium. Instead our residents relied on the increasingly busy crematoriums in neighbouring towns outside the district.
The search to find a suitable location in Wealden began in the mid 2000s and in 2015 a site was found that met the Council’s objectives and also passed a stringent needs assessment.
We consulted all those with an interest in the project, including of course all the funeral directors in the area, to ensure that the design responded to their needs.
Construction work began in the autumn of 2017 and the new crematorium opened in the Spring of 2019.
We offer a range of services that give you the opportunity to choose how to say goodbye.